Home
Religious Education
Staff
Sacraments
Ministries/Organizations
History
News and Events
Registration
Bulletins
Calendar
Catholic Exchange
Directions to St. John's
NY Archdiocese
Parish Pay
Parish Photo Gallery
Today's Readings


 History
 

The Piermont Parish of St. John’s had its beginnings in Haverstraw, when in 1848; Father Francis McKeon became the resident Catholic pastor in Haverstraw. At that time, his church served all of Rockland County’s Catholics. Through Father McKeon’s efforts, the Piermont Congregation was formed and services were held intermittently in the Old Fellows Hall in Piermont. Later, land was purchased on the north side of the Sparkhill Creek, nearly opposite the present Reformed Church of Piermont, where a building which reportedly housed the Church and a Parochial School was built. Mass was first celebrated there on January 1, 1852.

On July 1, 1852, Father John Quinn was appointed the first pastor of the newly established Parish of St. John which included all of Rockland County, south of Haverstraw. Parish history reports that the site of this first church on the Sparkhill Creek was soon moved to its present location on the Grand View border by the Hudson River, where a new church was erected in 1861. Although construction of the church commenced and would have been complete in 1860, a great storm destroyed it before its roof was completed forcing the congregation to rebuild from scratch again. The church was finished in time to hold the first Mass there on August 13, 1861.

For 100 years the beautiful wooden Gothic style church served the Catholic community in Piermont. Then on May 28, 1962, a fire destroyed the church. The present church was built in 1963. During the rebuilding process, Mass was celebrated in the Piermont Village Hall.

St. John’s has had 13 pastors during its 153 years of existence. Its congregation consists of approximately 550 families who actively support its many services and activities.

Its Connelly Hall serves as a community center for the church’s social and outreach functions, meeting place for Catholic Daughters, Holy Name Society, Piermont Senior Citizens Club, and AA. In addition, Connelly Hall also serves as the polling place for Grand View residents on Election Day.

The Parish sponsors active Outreach Programs to the Piermont community and the County as a whole. Bi-annually it honors community volunteers at Mass and a luncheon. In addition to its regular religious services, it provides religious education for its children and scripture courses for its adults. Holy hour is celebrated the first Friday of each month. Parish social get-togethers are frequent.

St. Johns takes pride in its diversified Parish family and welcomes all to worship with us by the beautiful Hudson River.